To contribute to improving the economic and social well-being of people and communities within the compatible limits of its field of activity:
- by continually developing an integrated cooperative network of secure and profitable financial services, owned and administered by the members, as well as a network of complementary financial organizations with competitive returns, controlled by the members
- by educating people, particularly members, officers and employees, about democracy, economics, solidarity, and individual and collective responsibility.
As an International Co-operative Alliance member, Desjardins shares the same ideals as thousands of cooperatives around the world. These ideals are expressed through a set of values that have defined the cooperative identity from the very start.
Fundamental cooperative values
Self-help, self-responsibility and responsibility for others, democracy, equality, equity and solidarity. Cooperative members respect ethical values of honesty, openness, social responsibility and caring for others.
Desjardins Group values
At Desjardins, our values are linked to our cooperative nature. They guide the decisions of our employees, managers and board members. They help boost engagement and serve as a benchmark to inspire our actions and create meaning and common purpose within the organization.
- Money at the service of human development
- At Desjardins, we view money as a tool to support the autonomy and development of people and communities. Everything we do is for our members and clients.
- Personal commitment
- By choosing Desjardins, our members, employees and board members contribute to and are personally invested in the development of Desjardins. A cooperative is sustained by everyone's personal commitment to help to meet shared needs.
- Democratic action
- Desjardins is a democratic organization, meaning that all members can participate in making the decisions and shaping the priorities for their cooperative, according to the "one member, one vote" principle.
- Participation is key to maintaining Desjardins's cooperative nature.
- Integrity and rigour
- We are committed to doing everything we can to earn and maintain the trust of our members, clients and partners, for the common good. This responsibility requires us to demonstrate honesty, objectivity, competence and transparency, and to comply with all regulations and guidelines governing us, as well as with sound business and management practices.
- Solidarity with the community
- At Desjardins, we are actively involved in communities' socioeconomic development in order to share wealth and support sustainable prosperity. Desjardins's commitment to individuals and communities is based on kindness and mutual assistance.
- At Desjardins, we pool our resources in order to best meet our members' and clients' needs and contribute to developing the cooperative model.