The Asper Foundation is a Winnipeg-based philanthropic organization that develops major projects and programming and provides support and partnerships to the Jewish and broader community in areas of culture, education, community development, and human rights - on a local, national, and international scale. The Foundation’s support has been provided to organizations such as the Canadian Museum for Human Rights, the University of Manitoba, United Way Winnipeg, The Health Sciences Center, St. Boniface Hospital, Winnipeg Harvest, Assiniboine Park, and in Israel such as the World’s Jewish Museum, Yad Vashem in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv University, and The Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
The Asper Foundation, a generational family organization, was founded on the tenets of Israel and Babs Asper’s belief that philanthropy is a driving force behind positive change in peoples’ quality of life. For this reason, they formed The Asper Foundation in Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1983 to establish a formal entity to build upon the family’s philanthropic objectives.
The vision of The Asper Foundation is “to lead by example and inspire others to give back to their community through tzedakah (charity) and tikkun olam (repairing the world through social action)”. With this vision in mind, The Asper Foundation is on the important journey of seeking its next Executive Director.
This is a key leadership role that will require a strategic executive who is passionate about the work The Asper Foundation does and will work with and engage the next generation of family members in the philanthropic vision. The Executive Director will be an effective relationship builder who will have the proven leadership and professional experience necessary to help lead an organization with a complexity of stakeholder engagement locally and globally. They will continue to identify and develop programming and partnerships for The Asper Foundation currently and in the future.
- Oversee and manage the day-to-day operations of the Foundation and work closely with the staff to develop and accomplish goals and implement the strategic plan, including the development and execution of new initiatives.
- Report to the Board of Trustees on operational and strategic decisions, initiatives, programming, and partnerships.
- Continue to build partnerships and nurture relationships with key stakeholders in government, academia, corporate, philanthropic, and non-profit organizations, locally and internationally.
- Provide support to the function of investment oversight working closely with the Investment Committee.
- Provide strong and concise written and oral communications for both internal and external audiences.
- Represent the Foundation publicly, manage public relations, press conferences, and continue to develop and enhance the Foundation’s brand and visibility.
- Finalize and deliver on strategic planning, ensuring operational and strategic objectives and priorities are identified and met.
- Develop and oversee future and existing programs managed by the Foundation.
- Work closely with and help to nurture the next generation of Foundation leaders, continuing to cultivate engagement and knowledge of The Asper Foundation’s mission and vision and developing the skillsets necessary to provide effective oversight and leadership.
Experience and Qualifications
- You have completed a post-secondary degree in business (including accounting), non-profit, government, law, education or social services.
- You have experience and a background in law, business, or accounting with a minimum of 10 years of high-level management experience.
- You are a creative and authentic leader who has experience in communicating and developing relationships with a variety of complex stakeholders such as government leaders, charitable organizations, and international organizations.
- You are a strategic thinker with a high level of business acumen.
- You have worked closely with a board or have experience serving on a board.
- Your career has shown a commitment to your community, and you’ve been instrumental in developing, managing, and nurturing relationships, partnerships and projects.
- You are an influential communicator who excels at written communications, listening, engaging others, and collaborating and who is a strong negotiator.
- You are an experienced public speaker, comfortable with presentations, press conferences, and high-profile engagements.
- You are a champion of collaboration, transparency, inclusion, accountability, and service.
- You have the ability to travel nationally and internationally.
Headquartered in Winnipeg, Manitoba, The Asper Foundation supports major initiatives in the areas of Jewish charity and has strong ties to the Jewish community in Winnipeg and globally – it is important that you have strong ties to the Jewish and Israel communities and either have or are capable of establishing ties with the Winnipeg community as well.