Volker Stevin Canada and its subsidiaries across Western Canada are dedicated to providing the highest level of quality services in the areas of construction, project management, highway maintenance, civil works and bridge construction, maintenance and rehabilitation expertise, and asphalt/aggregate plants and pits.
Reporting to Foreman, a Screed Operator is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the free-floating screed, attached to the paver vehicle. A Screed Operator controls the quantity and consistency of deposited asphalt; estimating the overall quantity for the project, as well as the quantity needed to achieve the correct grade in the finished surface.
- Observe and control the distribution of asphalt mix to ensure uniformity to obtain the specified compacted mat thickness and cross section, while achieving proper surface drainage with minimal segregation.
- Ensure proper depth application of the asphalt on the screed, using manual and automatic grade controls.
- Must setup, employ, and disassemble automatic grade controls
- Adjust where and how thick asphalt is placed, measuring the width and thickness of asphalt, and determining the application rate.
- Using the screed controls on the paver, control the thickness of the mat by tilting the screed forward to lower the depth, and tilting the screed backwards to increase the depth.
- Set end gates and auger up asphalt to fill the screed.
- Observe the terrain ahead of the paver and adjust the screed to factor in dips and variations in the base to achieve a level and consistent asphalt surface.
- Preheat the screed to hot mix asphalt temperature, to avoid sticking and tearing the mat.
- Coordinate, discuss, and plan project paving procedures and goals with fellow paving crew personnel.
- Train new employees in the safe and efficient operation of the screed.
- Overtime as required.
- Work is performed in an outdoor setting, which could include inclement weather, heat, and humidity.
- Must be physically able to repetitively lift and carry at least 20 lbs. on a regular basis.
- Use of personal protection equipment is required.
- Use of sunscreen, long sleeves, and appropriate headgear is recommended.
Qualifications & Experience
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. is preferred.
- Class 5 Driver’s License; clean Driver’s Abstract.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working as a paving crew.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in asphalt raking on a paving crew.
- Proficient understanding of asphalt and raking techniques.
- Knowledge of paving construction methods, asphalt and road construction materials, heavy equipment operation, and industry requirements.
- Ability to repetitively lift and carry at least 50 lbs. regularly.
- Willingness to work overtime, as required.
Location: Must reside in Calgary or the surrounding area for the duration of the season.
Note: We promote a safe work environment with a drug and alcohol substance testing program.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected will be contacted for an interview.