Regional Court Clerk
CC3-4 Clerk of Court 3-4
(with the possibility of becoming Regular)
Manitoba Court Operations, Courts
The Pas MB, Thompson MB
Advertisement Number: 40427
Salary(s): CC3-4 $1,820.48 - $2,322.90 bi-weekly Plus Remoteness Allowance, if applicable.
Closing Date: June 30, 2023
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Candidates who do not meet all essential criteria may be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
To be considered for this competition, candidates are required to submit their cover letter and resume, to the Civil Service Commission by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), quoting 40427 and position title in the subject line.
THIS IS AN ONGOING RECRUITMENT INITIATIVE
This is an ongoing recruitment initiative for the Regional Court Clerk position for Courts Division in the Northern locations – specifically in Thompson and The Pas. Please indicate which location you would be interested in, if not both. This will allow you to submit a single application that will be considered for any Regional Court Clerk position that becomes vacant in Thompson and The Pas until March 31, 2023.
Have you considered a career in Courts Operations? A career with Manitoba Justice can be interesting and rewarding – one where you can make a difference.
Manitoba Justice’s strength comes from its employees and diverse workforce. We have a substantial benefits package which includes extended health, health spending, dental, vision, long term disability, supportive employment, maternity and parental leave and a defined pension plan.
This position involves considerable public contact and assistance to the legal profession related to regulations or procedures and completion of court documents. Extensive training as well as coaching is provided for this position in order for you to succeed. Training will start by performing junior court office duties and courtroom functions in order to acquire basic working knowledge of court rules and procedures associated with any of the various courts functioning in the province.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Satisfactory Enhanced/Internal Security Check, Satisfactory Criminal Record Check - Vulnerable Sector Search, Adult and Child Abuse Registry Checks
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed to meet workload demands
- Ability to travel to other court centres and circuit court locations by car, airplane and other means of transportation with the possibility of overnight stays
- Ability to lift and transport related equipment weight up to 14 kgs/30 lbs
- Must possess a valid Manitoba Class 5F Driver's license
- Ability to work overtime as necessary with little notice
- Must qualify for an appointment as a Staff Justice of the Peace pursuant to statutory requirements
- Ability to process complex documentation and prepare the required court paperwork
- Excellent organizational and time management skills including the ability to handle multiple tasks in pressure situations with strict deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to resolve conflict
- Ability to maintain accuracy and pay attention to detail
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and independent decision making skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as contribute to a respectful workplace
- Excellent English verbal communication skills with the ability to project vocally without error
- Excellent written communication skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook) or equivalent programs
Once trained the roles requires you to perform various court related duties dependent on your daily assignment. The duties and responsibilities are taken from the Court Clerk Monitor, Deputy Registrar and Staff Justice of the Peace positions.
The incumbent will be responsible to clerk and monitor Provincial and King’s Bench criminal, family and civil court sittings including: recording court proceedings , marking and recording exhibits, reading charges, reading oaths to witnesses, maintaining order in the courtroom, completing court dispositions and all related paperwork and performing other pre and post court related duties. You will be expected to maintain discretion at all times with the ability to handle sensitive evidence during court hearings. You will also assist the judiciary, members of the legal profession, police and public as required. You will also hold the designation of a Deputy Registrar and Staff Justice of the Peace and perform the duties associated with those appointments.