GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEM (GIS) COORDINATOR
NATURE OF WORK: This position is technical in nature working in the development and maintenance of City infrastructure records. This includes dissemination of data and applications in the GIS environment. The role will support areas such as planning, public works, and other departments with gathering, geospatial analysis, and the creation of required outputs. The GIS Coordinator will work with a GIS Specialist and various municipal departments to ensure that needs for the GIS systems are addressed on a day-to-day basis.
This job description reflects the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job identified and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in such classification.
The confidentiality of City affairs shall be respected and practiced at all times.
· Reports to the Manager of Infrastructure and Asset Management, with oversight and technical guidance also provided by the GIS Specialist.
· Develops and maintains working relationships with all departments to provide administrative support and assist with GIS related functions.
· Develops and maintains relationships with service providers, external agencies, consultants and associated professional groups.
· Deals with the public with integrity and in a professional and courteous manner.
· Performs all aspects of GIS activities associated with collecting, creating, managing, mapping, editing, and analyzing spatial data.
· Assists with data conversions, migrations, and processing using measures to enforce data integrity, developing methods, investigating anomalies and ensures metadata and spatial data standards are maintained.
· Reviews quality assurance on new or revised data conforming to all applicable standards and policies.
· Provides technical guidance and support to internal and external stakeholders as required to ensure compliance with data standards.
· Assists in creating and maintaining data linkages between various applications and databases.
· Provides subject matter expertise when part of a project team. Assist with direction and guidance on the use of GIS applications and analyses for process improvements, decision–support, usability, and accessibility.
· Assists in software support, training, evaluation, installation and updating for GIS and related applications.
· Processes service to customers requesting drawings, mapping, and other spatial information.
· Supports the Emergency Operations Centre as needed.
· Utilizes geospatial database in developing operational maps.
· Examines and interprets aerial photography to help prepare topographic maps, aerial-photograph mosaics, and related charts.
· Other related duties or activities as assigned.
· Proficient with the ESRI suite of GIS products such as ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Enterprise, ArcGIS Online and QGIS.
· Knowledge of general database concepts.
· Exceptional organizational and time management skills to meet frequent and aggressive deadlines.
· Excellent analytical skills and the ability to work as part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
· Knowledge/Skills with core GIS data maintenance including roads, addresses, parcels, official plan, and zoning layers.
· Experience with GIS metadata principles, practices, and maintenance.
· Excellent writing and communication skills and a high level of attention to detail.
· Strong interpersonal skills and sense of customer service.
· Excellent judgment in having access to sensitive and confidential data and the ability to address situations with tact, professionalism, and discretion.
· Ability to create and alter detailed reports as required.
· Ability within the Corporation to mentor other non-technical users of GIS viewer applications.
· Successful completion of a technical course in the area of GIS system administration. Any course work covering civil engineering and/or surveying would be an additional asset.
· Minimum of three (3) years of experience working with GIS, databases, and CAD, preferably within the public sector. GPS experience is an asset.
· Experience with GIS map production, spatial data standards, systems integration and associated software, specifically ESRI & Microsoft products.
· Experience in analyzing spatial data in a municipal environment and translating client requirements into appropriate GIS reports and thematic maps.
· An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Salary: $69,569.17 - $81,846.86 as per the Management Non-Union Salary Grid.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and detailed resume by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org Your application must be clearly marked “Application for GIS Coordinator” and submitted by February 15, 2024, at 4:00 PM.
Please ensure your application clearly demonstrates how you meet the noted qualifications as applications will be screened based on the information provided. We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Charlottetown is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. The City encourages applications from underrepresented groups including all designated equity groups with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. If you require an accommodation in any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries, in confidence, to email@example.com or by calling 902-629-4110.